Wednesday, May 17th - Sunday, May 21st
Two Schools . . . One Destination
Brownstown Central Middle School is very excited to announce that, beginning with the Class of 2021, we have partnered with our Jackson County neighbor, Seymour Middle School, to offer the 8th grade students of our county schools a most unique educational experience . . . Washington DC!
At the invitation of SMS, BCMS 8th grade students will be given the opportunity to travel to our nation’s capital for a learning adventure they will likely never forget.
SMS made their first trek to our nation's capital in the Spring of 2010. BCMS has been asked to join the venture for 2017.
Travelling together helps to insure that both schools have the sufficient number of student participants to keep trip expense costs as low as possible for the students/families of both schools. (As there will naturally be some fluctuation in regards to the student participation/eligibility rate from year to year, this joint school endeavor will provide additional cost stability and trip solvency for both schools.)
On behalf of BCMS, I would like to thank SMS for their most generous invitation. Of special note:
- the Seymour Community School Corporation School Board of Trustees
- Mr. Robert Hooker, SCSC Superintendent
- Mr. JB Royer, SMS Principal
- Mrs. Sherri Holt-Price, SMS Teacher & Washington, D.C. Trip Coordinator
. . . and . . .
- the SMS student body (thank you for sharing your trip experience with us!)
I would also like to thank:
- the Brownstown Central Community School Corporation School Board of Trustees
- Mr. Greg Walker, BCCSC Superintendent
. . . and . . .
- Mrs. Jessica Fritz, BCMS Teacher & BCMS Trip Coordinator
"NEW INFORMATION ZONE"
This is where you can look for new announcements and information as they relate to the DC trip throughout the course of the year. Each new announcement will have a date stamp preceding it.
March 6, 2017:
This morning, I (Mr. McClure) met with the D.C. trip registrants to provide some important information. To view the talking points outline of the information that we covered together, please click on the "March 6th D.C. POW WOW" document located on the right hand margin of this screen.September 22, 2016:
The following information was provided:
1) The students were given an information sheet entitled "Things to Pack and Carry on the Bus." (Refer to the right hand column for a copy of this document.)
2) They were also provided a copy of a "Student Medical Release Form" that must be completed and returned to Mr. McClure/Mrs. Black NO LATER THAN Thursday, April 13th. (Refer to the right hand column for a copy of this document.)
3) They were given a "Panoramic Group Picture Order Form." For $15.00, students can order a panoramic group picture in front of the Capital Building. This is an optional expense for interested students. These order forms are also due to Mr. McClure/Mrs. Black by Thursday, April 13th. Please note that no orders can be placed after that. Please also note that we will not accept cash. Checks need to be made payable to "Seymour Middle School." (Refer to the right hand column for a copy of this document.)
4) Students should have made parents/guardians aware of the REQUIRED/MANDATORY trip departure meeting being held at the Seymour Middle School gymnasium (920 North O'Brien Street) on Wednesday, May 10th, beginning at 5:00PM. Students, along with at least one parent/guardian, must be in attendance at this critical information meeting. Attendance will be taken. Students will be receiving their Washington, D.C. trip tee shirts along with their trip carrying bag.
**Century Resources Fundraiser Profits**
For students who chose to participate in the fundraiser, profits will be sent to Brightspark following the October 7th registration deadline.
Profits should be applied to your child's account by the November 18th payment.
As a reminder, each student received $5.60 in profit for each item sold. The number of items sold, multiplied by $5.60, equals your student's profit to date.
Online sales will continue through the end of the calendar year.
August 19, 2016:
At last evening’s informational meeting, two questions were posed about registration and online fundraising.
1) The question was asked if the fundraising could be applied to the $70 registration retainer. The fundraising profits cannot be applied to the $70 registration retainer. The primary reason for this is that a student must first have registered with Brightspark to set up his/her travel account before any profits can be applied to that account. (Note: The trip registration deadline for students is Friday, October 7th)
2) The final day to turn in money and order forms for the brochure fundraiser is Monday, August 29th. However, to help extend the fundraising opportunities for our 8th grade trip goers this year, online fundraising will continue for interested students/parents through the end of the calendar year. All online fundraising profits earned prior to January 1, 2017, will be able to be credited to individual student travel accounts.
August 18, 2016:
Registration for the BCMS/SMS 2017 Washington, D.C. 8th grade class trip is now open! Interested 8th grade BCMS students must register through the Brightspark travel web page no later than Friday, October 7th, 2016.
BCMS students interested in participating in his year's Washington, D.C. fundraiser must have a fundraising agreement sign and returned. This year's fundraiser is being held Thursday, August 18th - Monday, August 29th. We are STRONGLY encouraging online sales, but students wishing to return money and order forms must do so to Mrs. Black in the main office by the close of the school day on Monday, August 29th. Only exact monetary amounts matching the student's order form will be accepted.
June 15, 2016:
Mark your calendar! There will be a mandatory student/parent informational meeting for all 8th grade students interested in participating in the May 17-May 21, Washington, D.C. trip.
Meeting Date: Thursday, August 18th, 2016
Location: BCMS Gymnasium
Participants: only 8th grade parents & students
For 6th and 7th grade students & parents interested in learning about the Washington, D.C. trip in anticipation of their 8th grade year, a repeat meeting will be held at 7:30PM.
Note: Interested 6th and 7th grade students attending the 7:30PM information presentation will be given the chance to participate in the Fall 2016 fundraiser should they choose. Purpose: an additional opportunity to begin accumulating and "banking" profits toward their future trip.
Meeting Date: Thursday, August 18th, 2016
Location: BCMS Gymnasium
Participants: interested 6th and 7th grade students & parents
Refer to the page links to the right to view the following:
1) Washington DC Trip BCMS Student Criteria
2) Sneak peak of the August 18th Washington, D.C. Student/Parent information power point
3) Class of 2021 Trip Information Letter (May 2016)
4) BCMS Washington, D.C. Trip Fundraiser Policy
TIMELINE and OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
For quick reference, here is an outline of important information and events leading up to our May 17th departure. (Please note: this information is NOT meant to be comprehensive regarding all details related to the trip.)
Brightspark Travel, Inc.
8750 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue
Chicago, IL 60631
Important Calendar Dates & Deadlines:
Thursday, Aug. 18th
Friday, March 17th
Wednesday, May 17th
Departure-- 6:00 P.M.
**Student ID Cards-- Do Not Lose Them: They Are Needed for the Trip. BCMS Cannot Issue You a New One In May.**
**In the Event Your Child Does Not Meet the Attendance, Behavior and Other Requirements for the Trip, Mr. McClure Will Contact Your Child and You. He Will In Turn Notify Brightspark that Your Child Has Been Removed from the Trip for Failing to Meet the School Requirements.
Should You Choose to Remove Your Child from the Trip for Any Other Reason, You Will Need to Contact Brightspark in Writing to Explain the Reason for Cancellation.
Brightspark Will Retain a $70 Cancellation Fee but Return the Remaining Balance-- Fundraiser Profits Excluded. For Additional Information, Please Refer to the Brightspark Registration and Payment Policy Found In the Attachments Section Below.**
**Brightspark Is Supposed to Mail Out a Medical Form with the Final Payment Notice. This Needs to Be Filled Out and Returned to the School By Thurs., April 20th.
If We Do Not Have a Medical Form on File for Your Child, We Cannot Take Your Child on the Trip!
IT'S THE LAW!
ANY PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS YOUR CHILD WILL BE TAKING DURING THE TRIP WILL NEED TO BE IN A LABELED PRESCRIPTION BOTTLE. IF YOU NEED AN EXTRA BOTTLE, THE PHARMACY SHOULD BE ABLE TO PROVIDE ONE FOR YOU.
OVER-THE-COUNTER MEDS NEED TO BE IN THEIR ORIGINAL BOTTLE AS WELL.
PLACE YOUR CHILD'S MEDS IN A CLEAR ZIPLOC BAG AND WRITE HIS/HER NAME ON IT.